img { max-width: 560px; width: expression(this.width > 500 ? 500: true); }

Saturday, March 14, 2009

A Gem

this post is alternately titled "i heart npr." did you know that if you ever want to find something you've heard on npr, you can go to their website npr.org and tell them about it and they will find it for you? genius. did you know that even if you were mistaken and the program you were listening to wasn't on npr, but another delightful program called this american life, that the lovely folks at npr will still find it for you and send you the link? quite thoughtful. coo coo cachoo, npr, i'm now an even bigger fan and maybe i'll throw a couple of my extra pennies your way during your fundraising marathons.

i digress... a couple months ago i was driving in the car listening to what i thought was npr, but was actually this american life. i became so engrossed in the story that i sat in the parking lot of the grocery store until it was over. so, if you have 16 of your minutes to spare and want to be entertained, check out this gem. Babies Buying Babies was the story that caught me, but after scowering her website, i'm also looking forward to her book The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance coming out this year.

7 comments:

Nicea said...

Who reads blogs at 7:00 a.m. on a Sunday? I do! I'm eating my blueberries and banana while hunting for my Primary manual (which I swore was in my Sunday bag but isn't)and suddenly am in a bit of a panic because I have to teach in 2 hours, not to mention fix up my face, hair and attire to their appropriate state of appropriateness for church. Hmmm. Oh, but I, too, digress.

I love NPR. Once on This American Life I heard the funniest love letters people had written. And once they had people's breakup stories. Hilarious. Actually, some were sad, but still hilarious. And I'm always in my car when I hear them. Me, too, Lola! I sit in parking lots to hear the endings, too! I'm so glad to have something in common with such a talented, beautiful niece. Lucky me.

And on Saturday mornings I like to listen to "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me!" while I mop my kitchen floor. Well, mostly I just listen. The floor, well....

I think I'm confused, though. When I listen to TAL, it's always on my NPR station. I thought it was just another program on NPR. Is it a station of its own? Broadcasting from Chicago? How does it get on my 90.1 radio dial? Oh, the mysteries. Help me, please. Confusion confuses me. And have a nice day.

Loves.

Meg said...

Cute Lo. We once hear this, well, I am not sure what it was but it was a song about a latte boy and it was so funny and then at Brian's talent show the other night someone sang it and I was so excited. Anywho, I will try to find the song, I am assuming it is from a play!

Lola said...

Neesh,
I thought TAL was part of NPR also, but to my surprise, it is not. It is on the same station, but not produced or distributed by NPR. Who woulda thunk?

Jamie said...

I don't get any radio stations where I live... OK, I get about three, and two of them are christian stations and the third one that sometimes comes in is like a top-40 pop station. Hmm. I'm ready to move to a real city.

I listened to the Babies Buying Babies online though, very funny. Kevin was confused because he wasn't listening the whole time and then he'd come in half way through and hear this lady talking about dropping babies on the floor. Ha ha.

Cheryloxx said...

You should also check out the AORBS or The Amalgamation Of (or Order of) Real Bearded Santas. Seriously, the BEST B.E.S.T this American Life I have ever heard.

Hope you're enjoying California.

merebuff said...

The Breakup is my absolute favorite TAL episode, as well as What I Learned From Television. I also love anytime Sarah Vowell or David Sedaris contribute. There was one episode called Act V that was fabulous for different reasons. I could go on. I miss TAL and Studio 360 and Radio Lab. I need better internet.

Jacks said...

The only way I can clean without hating everything is to listen to a podcast of This American Life. I love it.

Megara - the song a bout the latte boy, was it Taylor the Latte Boy?