img { max-width: 560px; width: expression(this.width > 500 ? 500: true); }

Saturday, April 19, 2008

How it came to be

Eric and I have started to form our own language. Apparantely there aren't enough words in the English language and we have discovered the need to make up some new ones.

Mer.

Anyone that has seen the SNL sketch Debbie Downer knows the little ditty that plays after her ever-so-pleasant input on the conversation. Wah Wah. We started using it whenever something went wrong. From there it became less of a cohesive phrase and more of just a noise that isn't really describable with words. It has been revised many times and finally molded into the term we now use anytime we are annoyed or bummed; usually in a joking manner, but I won't lie, I have been known to shout it in anger a couple of times. Oopsy daisy.

The best part is that we've heard PJ and Krista both use it by accident. Suckers.

11 comments:

Nicea said...

I hope you don't mind old people commenting on your blog. I love that you kids all keep connected, and as I lurk among you, I, too can see what's going on. And maybe not get too far behind the times? Here's my question: How do you pronounce "mer" just in case I MIGHT want to use it myself? Just askin'. What does it rhyme with? Burr? Bear?

Nicea said...

I hope you don't mind old people commenting on your blog. I love that you kids all keep connected, and as I lurk among you, I, too can see what's going on. And maybe not get too far behind the times? Here's my question: How do you pronounce "mer" just in case I MIGHT want to use it myself? Just askin'. What does it rhyme with? Burr? Bear?

Nicea said...

Oops. Double clicked. Tsk, tsk.

Lola said...

Good question, Aunt Neesh!

It rhymes with Burr.

Man Child said...

No it rhymes with Bear. It is half a French cuss word.

Lauren, I am sooooo disappointed.

Sherry Carpet said...

yeah, me too. MERDE is the correct spelling of the word.

Nicea said...

I'm so confused. I thought "mer" was Lauren and Eric's new language word. As to pronunciation, Lauren, I kind of like the burr pronunciation. It has a lovely guttural quality, useful in a good cuss word.

Until I am more clear on this issue, however, perhaps I should stick with the more familiar "poop". Rhymes with soup.

eric said...

krissa and brian are like the french...

Merde (Pronounced mare) is not what we say...

We say the the much more appropriate MER. (like frankincense, gold and myrrh / rhymes with fur)

gosh. mer.

by the way, Nicea, merde means "poop".

Nicea said...

Thank you sooo much. I lost sleep last night over that. Poop, huh. Gee, I'm smarter than I look!

Meg said...

Too funny. My new favorite word is "blurg". I picked it up off an episode of 30 Rock. Try it, you will love it!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.